9.09.2008

Chicken (or Pork) Katsu

One of my all time favorite types of food is Japanese food. I love indulging myself every once in awhile on sushi and tempura and miso soup. The japanese place we go to has a great lunch special and I love to get the bento box. Its filled with sushi, rice, salad and whatever entree you like, whether it be tempura, teriyaki or whatever. My favorite thing in the bento I get is the Chicken Katsu. Its basically just a flattened piece of chicken fried in panko bread crumbs and its served with this great katsu bbq sauce which I have yet to find in the grocery store. Someday I want to try making sushi at home but I havn't been able to find sushi grade fish anywhere near where I live. So until then I make do with this fabulous chicken dish. You can also substitute the chicken with flattened pork chops or cutlets. I love to dip this in sweet and sour sauce. Scott loves to dip it in Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce.

Chicken or Pork Katsu
4 flattened boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless pork chops
1 cup panko bread crumbs (you can find this in the Asian section of the grocery store, right by the rice)
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
canola, peanut or vegetable oil

Put flour, beaten egg and panko in separate bowls by the stove. Heat a couple tablespoons of oil over medium high to medium heat in a large pan. Dip chicken in flour, then egg and coat completely in panko crumbs. Gently put in oil and fry for 5 minutes on first side, flip and fry for another 5 minutes. Serve immediately with steamed rice and sauce of your choice (sweet and sour or chinese hot sauce or if you can find it, tonkatsu sauce)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am eating this for lunch today !

You can Google recipes for Tonkatsu sauce..it's really easy to make !

Leslie said...

I probably make Chicken Katsu a few times a month! Yummy and simple!

Anonymous said...

I have the Tonkatsu sauce!

This is a great recipe. Yum!

Unknown said...

all katsu sauce is ketchup soy sauce and worchskjdkjdfshire sauce, lol however u spell it

Anonymous said...

kikoman makes a tonkatsu sauce that is pretty good and in most grocery stores. It used to be called tonkatsu sauce, now it is labeled as steak sauce, it has an orange label and should be in the asian section of the store. i have found it at most major grocery stores. Also i make this all the time but with pork cutlets instead of chicken.

food makes me happy said...

I love katsu!
It's so good and so easy to make,
What a nice meal there!

Anonymous said...

Looks great!
The brand that is most widely used in Japan is probably Bull Dog.

If you like Chicken Katsu, you should also try Oyako Donburi, which is a chicken katsu and egg dish with rice. Yum.

Dazy said...

It is looking fab! I like pork - we have it almost as much as we have chicken, which is a lot. It should keep me busy in the kitchen.