9.05.2008

Mom's Rustic Tortellini Soup

This is one of the classic recipes my mom would make occasionally. Now that she has moved out, my sister has taken the reins and likes to make this soup. Like many soups, this recipe is wonderful on a chilly or rainy day. I dont know why but I always am reminded of football and sunday afternoons when eating it. The flavors are very hearty with the Italian sausage and array of vegetables. This recipe makes a lot of soup so its great for dinner partys. Warm italian bread and butter is soooo good dipped in this soup. Top each bowl of soup generously with parmesan or mozzarella cheese.

Rustic Tortellini Soup
1 pkg. mild Italian sausage (if you want more of a kick, use hot Italian sausage)
1 pkg. frozen cheese tortellini (12 oz. bag is plenty)
6 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red wine
1 14.5 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
1 medium yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, cubed
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. oregano
3 tbsp. parsley
2 tbsp. basil
Freshly shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese
Crusty bread such as Italian or French

In a large pot over medium-high heat, squish italian sausage out of the skins and fry for about 5 minutes. When there are some juices in the pan from sausage, add onion and green pepper. When sausage is almost done, add garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes. Drain and return to pan. Bring following ingredients to a boil with the sausage mixture: beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, zucchini and celery. Once at boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add tortellini and parsley. Simmer covered for 35-40 more minutes. Serve immediately with warm bread and butter and cheese sprinkled on top.

8 comments:

Pam said...

Looks simple, hearty and delicious. Great recipe.

Christina said...

I'd like to let you know that I am a HORRIBLE cook, but you've inspired me to try hanging out in the kitchen again. You word your recipes so that it sounds easy enough for me (a novice, whose claim to fame is microwave mac & cheese) to at least give it a shot. I'm making out my grocery list for the week from your recipes. Thank you for posting them. I'll let you know how it goes.

Shannon and Scott said...

Christina,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comment! If you have any questions about any of the recipes, just email me at blades7816@yahoo.com. Also to let you know, I am also a novice cook, only been really cooking for my family for about 1 year. Its not as hard as it may seem! :)

Anonymous said...

Perfectly suited for almost any occasion. Beautiful - Doesn't really need words.

Anonymous said...

This was a soup my mom passed on to me and now I get to pass it on to my daughters. I use a little more broth and wine than the recipe calls for, since the noodles tend to absorb some of the broth as it stands. This recipe won the Super-Bowl Soup contest my parents participated in during the 85 Bear's Superbowl. I think they found it in the newspaper. It's been a family favorite ever since.
Sorry Green Bay fans. You might want to stick to cheese soup.

seo services said...

Nice recipe Thanks Very simple and Delicious.

. said...

VIMS ........Awesome.....nice posting..thank you for sharing the information...hope to see more..

distance learning courses

. said...

Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my bookmark list! Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this!.....Necessity is the mother of invention..hope to see more. Travel Services in Pune